Democracy Now! Monday, July 28, 2003
Producer Democracy Now!Audio/Visual sound, color
* 15 More U.S. Soldiers Die In Iraq Over Bloody 8-Day Period
* Report: Iraq Occupation Could Turn Into “The Third Gulf War”
* U.S. Soldiers Charged With Beating Iraqi POWs
* Blair to Face ICC Charges Over Iraq War
* U.S. Pressures India To Send Troops to Iraq
* Weapons Inspector Nuns Sentenced
* More Headlines…
* North Korea Threatens to Conduct its First Underground Nuclear Test as Veterans Mark the 50th Anniversary of the Korean War Armistice
Veterans from 16 nations attended a ceremony in Panmunjom, in the demilitarized zone between North and South Korea to mark the 50th anniversary of the armistice. We hear from activist Seung Hye Suh and author Martin Hart-Landsberg.
* Castro Criticizes EU in Speech Marking 50th Anniversary of the Launch of the Cuban Revolution
The nationally broadcast speech was billed as the highlight of three days celebration of Castro’s bold attack on the Moncada army barracks on July 26, 1953. We speak with professor Lillian Guerra and go to Cuba to hear from exiled activist Nehanda Abiodun.
* Mother Jones' March of the Mill Children 100 Years Later
Actress Betsy Means retraces the steps of Mother Jones’ historic 1903 march from Philadelphia to the Long Island home of President Teddy Roosevelt. The 70-year-old labor organizer was protesting the plight of child laborers. Means performs as Mother Jones in the Democracy Now! studios.